Women and Wheeler

In early 1930s, Wheeler Mission worked together with the ICFCW (Indianapolis Council of Federated Church Women) to hire a relief worker to go into homes in the community. Miss Fredericka Straeffer provided physical and spiritual aid to families in Indianapolis. This report gives an overview of her work during her first six months of employment.

In September 1950, the Women's Auxiliary of Wheeler Mission was formed by a group led by Frances Hunt to help the mission minister to women. Comprised of delagates from over eighty Indianapolis churches, they founded a home that would help women recently released from prison to find jobs. This unsigned letter to M. McCafferty and Louis Mavis offers insight into how Wheeler Mission founded a women’s home. 

 

From 1952 to 1960, Zenith McDonald was the first house-mother of the women’s home.  

MSS016_B21_F19_Zenith_McDonald_at_desk.jpg
Women and Wheeler